Thursday, May 13, 2010

There must be more than this provincial life!!!


Belle has to be my favorite Disney princess,( If you HAvE to pick one to like.) She reads books and wonders about foreign places. She even turns down an engagement that any other girl would kill for in her little town. Wow that is some good roll model stuff compared to the other Disney princess'.
So what main stream roll models do our daughters have to look up to?
On the way home from the park I saw a billboard for the Sex and The City movie. (I know this is not aimed at them nor are we dealing with these sort of issues yet, but believe it or not those years are sadly coming around the corner faster!) So, Sex and the City.. I used to LOVE that show um about 10 yrs ago! Is it a little ridiculous now or is it just me? One person I heard say "it is a movie about four shopaholic whores". pardon my french! Well are they whores? Or are they just sexually liberated urban chika's with strong affiliations to designer goods? What does it mean to be a strong liberated woman? As a mother I find myself torn between the ideas. I don't like the double standard that condones the same acts by a man calling him a stud while the girl is judged harshly. I certainly do not want my daughters to be called names for their personal choices and I definitely do not want them engage in risky behavior. (do not place me on the same soap box with a religious zealot I am not going there:)
I want my bunnies to be smart about their money. Is a closet full of Stuart Weitzman and Jimmy Choo shoes while you live in an apartment and have no health insurance really the best of choices? (Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for some nice and pretty things) but I try to balance these things. Will my bunnies see this balancing act or will they just see my nice things? If they only see the things I would throw them all out right now (well sell them on e-bay) lol So is a Louis vitton what is going to make you feel good inside and out?
So I find myself only left with a few solid role models and none of them come form the media. Another good reason to get rid of cable!! :)
I am afraid that I will have to be that role model for my girls. I am up for the challenge but that means "do as I say not as I do" will not cut it on any issue! They are going to be and already are bombarded with images of "dumb girls". I am afraid that I sound fuddy duddy, but I really want my girls to look past labels and expensive things, past the color of skin and really get to know people for their inherent qualities, to be happy and to contribute to society. Is that too much to ask?? lol
So I have to say I am very fortunate. I have a lot of women around me these days that I believe are strong role models! Thank you ladies for enriching my life in so many ways. So there must be more than this provincial life?
If you have a favorite role model please let me know about them. I would love to hear. Happy Thursday my bunnies! xx

3 comments:

  1. Of course the girls will see the balance. Our kids see everything! Not just the good or just the bad. So what you are showing them by your choices will translate far down the road! And Balance is EVERYTHING! My favorite Disney chick is Mulan ;) And real life? I'll get back to ya on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom is rad. my favorite disney princess is ariel. and sex and the city was once awesome until i had babies and realized how screwed up those bitches are! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comments ladies! I totally forgot about Mulan she kicks ass Pricilla:)
    Asia isnt it funny how perspectives can change..and ya those 4 ladies are pretty much crazy on SO many levels! and Look because of your mom you turned out pretty great!! xx

    ReplyDelete