Thursday, May 6, 2010

Plastic is not fantastic!!

I am a total nerd for documentaries..I love love love them. If you know me and my family at all, you know that we do not have cable. We try to limit our television exposure for not only for the little bunnies, but for my sanity as well, but that is another topic all together. So documentaries are sort of my dirty little secret, like reading romance novels or peeking at People mags while getting a pedicure. Sometimes I want to learn, but I am lazy. Yet instead of reading I just want someone to inform me, while entertaining my lazy worn out mommy brain! In the past few years I have to say documentaries have become so much fun!
(yes I am a total NERD!!)
So I am very excited about this new documentary Tapped! It looks great.
So Tapped touches on an issue that my hubby and I have tried to be very cognizant about. Plastic eeack. A couple of years ago our family decided that we would try to use the least amount of plastic in our daily lives as possible. We started this for selfish reasons, not really to save the earth. We do want to "save" the earth as well, but sometimes the personal issues can help to change habits. I know that sounds bad, but I want to be honest. I am not exactly an activist, I am just a regular mommy trying to make the best decisions for my family. Not using plastic while I was pregnant became very important to me because of the very vulnerable bunny I was growing inside of me. Now with more and more information it seems to be a very wise choice for your health and the environment.

Did you know Bottled water typically costs more than 1,900 times more than tap water? wow talk about cost savings!
Lets just touch on some of the health issues. When drinking bottled water you need to think not only about the water but also about the bottle itself. Plastic is not an inert substance as its manufacturers would like you to believe. It contains chemicals like BPA and phthalates, which mimic hormones in your body.

Even tiny concentrations can cause problems such as:

* Structural damage to your brain
* Hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, and impaired learning
* Increased fat formation and risk of obesity
* Altered immune function
* Early puberty, stimulation of mammary gland development, disrupted reproductive
cycles, and ovarian dysfunction
* Changes in gender-specific behavior, and abnormal sexual behavior
* Stimulation of prostate cancer cells
* Increased prostate size, and decreased sperm production
wow if that is not some scary stuff!!??
Thank you Dr. Mercola for these great facts!
(I'm not sure yet how to fully give credit to others for facts I get, so please if you have any advice please let me know)

I will blog later about how you can make a difference in your daily lives with ideas like installing a reverse osmosis system like our family. So enjoy this great trailer.

2 comments: